Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2013

Jazz in The Georgian, Friday, January 11, 2013


This past Friday at Jazz in The Georgian I had the fortune of reconnecting and playing with Hammond B-3 player extraordinaire Joe Doria.  I last played with Joe about 15 years ago on some blues gigs back then.  We haven't crossed paths since and I have been thinking about how cool it would be to invite him into The Georgian to play.  There are so many musicians in Seattle and circles of players that you may never come in contact with.  One of the great things of being a bandleader and having this amazing gig is that I can bring players in that I would not ordinarily play with.  I don't receive a lot of calls to play with many guys.  There are a few reasons I believe for that: for one I am a bandleader mainly so other bandleaders won't think of me as a sideman for their gigs.  I play here at The Fairmont Olympic Hotel every Friday and Saturday nights and have been here going on seven years.  I am simply not available on those gig heavy weekend nights.  Also, there is a plethora of great bassists in Seattle.  There are literally dozens of highly qualified stellar professional acoustic jazz bassists here.  The rule of thumb is that in most places good bassists are few and highly in demand.  It seems like many good bassists have all decided to congregate and settle in Seattle.  There are many bass players to call upon and leaders all have their favorites.  So with that in mind I need to bring the players to me that I wish to play with.  Otherwise, I would be sitting indefinitely by the phone or computer waiting for a call/email that won't come.

This brought me to look up Joe whom I vividly remember as a smoking B-3 player.  He is very well known in town and I've heard about the many projects he does and the fine musicians he plays with.  I told myself that I need to hook up with this cat.  I contacted him after the New Year and our first gig together in about fifteen years happened last Friday.  Joe knew who I was but he didn't actually remember the instrument that I play.  Up to the very point when he walked into The Georgian, he thought I was a sax player.  When he saw the bass standing against the corner I think it was a confusing moment for him.  A perplexed look came across his brow and then he suddenly burst into laughter confessing the thought that he was totally prepared to kick bass with his left hand since in his mind I was a sax player.  That was some funny shit.  After helping him load-in his stuff going through the load-in from hell that is the infamous load-in procedure at the hotel that many who have played events at the hotel would attest (it's not really that bad), we got down to business playing tunes.

From the first song All of You and onward, it was groove central from that point on.  I felt at "home" immediately.  Home to me is in the pocket.  Pocket is the sanctity of the groove that is time and feel squared.  The swing is tangible and something you can hold onto.  The Groove: when it swings hard and deep it just confirms why I do this occupation as a professional bassist/musician -- my calling in this lifetime.  I am in the constant pursuit of that feeling.  Groove is everything.  It is the essence.  I believe that it goes beyond music.  I want to groove in every aspect of my life.  Joe is all about the Groove.

Here are a couple takes from the gig.  This is a tune by Dr. Lonnie Smith called Jungle Soul.  Joe is actually kicking bass mostly, and I am playing bass drum and snare on my upright.  This was fun stuff.




This song is called C.C. Rider


It was a real treat to play with Joe after all these years.  One thing for sure is that it won't be another 15 years till the next time we play.  I foresee lots more playing in the near future with Joe Doria.

Joe Doria's website











Please visit our YouTube channel to see and hear more highlights of Jazz in The Georgian and Smooth Groove Productions special events.

Jazz in The Georgian every Friday and Saturday nights, 6pm-10pm at The Fairmont Olympic Hotel, 411 University Street, Seattle, WA 98101, 206-621-7889.








No comments:

Post a Comment